Saturday, October 6, 2007

sententia exanimus discipulus

Examining leadership and lifelong learning through historical figures is one of the exciting activities we experience in my MA program, and one of the historical figures we're studying is Plato.

Thinking about Plato led me to contemplate ancient Greece and ancient Rome, which made me think of the translation of texts and ancient languages, which resulted in a dip into Latin.

In reflecting on all this, I began to wonder how the ancient Greeks or ancient Romans might have described a lifelong learner or lifelong learning. My search for a Latin translation ended with finding the terms 'exanimus discipulus' and 'exanimus eruditio'.

I've decided to add one of these to my email signatures relating to teaching and learning.

Musings of a lifelong learner ~= sententia exanimus discipulus

No comments:

Post a Comment